FLAG OFFICER COMMANDING EASTERN NAVAL COMMAND
Commodore James Osei Kontoh is a results-oriented Executive Naval Officer with an extensive wealth of knowledge spanning over thirty (30) years’ experience in defence and security issues, maritime operations, ship handling and information technology. The senior officer began his military career in 1981 when he entered the Ghana Military Academy as a member of Regular Intake 23. He then continued with his military training at the following prestigious foreign and local institutions:
- Pakistan Naval Academy, Basic Naval Officers Training (Jun 1982 – Dec 1984).
- Britannia Royal Naval Academy UK, Sub-Lt Tech Training (May 1988 – Dec 1988).
- Ghana Armed Forces Command & Staff College (GAFCSC) Junior Staff Course – (Jul 1989 – Oct 1989).
- GAFCSC Senior Staff Course (Sep 1995 – Aug 1996).
- Senior Officers Amphibious Planning Course at Expeditionary Warfare Training Group in Coronado, California USA (1 Mar – 12 May 2013).
- Managing Defence in the Wider Security Context Course at KAIPTC, Ghana (6 – 17 Jul 2015).
- African Cooperation Decision Makers Course No.5 at Nasser Higher Military Academy in Cairo, Egypt (1 Apr – 12 May 2017).
Commodore Kontoh had his GCE Ordinary and Advanced Levels Certificates from the Pope John’s and Opoku Ware Secondary Schools respectively. He holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology from KNUST – Kumasi and New Jersey Institute of Science and Technology, USA and a Master’s Degree in International Affairs and Diplomacy from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria. He has also obtained the following Post-Graduate Diploma and Certificates:
- Diploma in Public Administration (DPA) from Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA)/GAFCSC in 1995.
- Certificates in Crisis and Conflict Management, Defense Management Course, Ghana Security Sector Governance and Management Course, GIMPA/GAFCSC.
- The Senior Officer has held the following appointments in his military career. Some of which include:
- Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Naval Command – (Dec 2017 – Date).Acting Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command (Oct 2016 – Jun 2017).
- Flag Officer Commanding NAVTRAC (Jul 2016 – Oct 2016).
- Deputy Commandant, GAFCSC (Aug 2015 – Jul 2016).
- Assistant Commandant, GAFCSC (May 2013 – Aug 2015).
- Director Naval Training, Naval HQ (Aug 2011 – May 2013).
- Chief Instructor, GAFCSC (Sep 2008 – Aug 2011).
- Directing Staff AFCSC, JAJI Nigeria (Sep 2006 – Sep 2008).
- Directing Staff, GAFCSC (Jun 2005 – Sep 2006).
- Commanding Officer, GHANA NAVY SHIP YOGAGA (Sep 2004 – Sep 2005).
- Executive Officer, GHANA NAVY SHIP SEBO (Jun 1993 –Sep 1995).
- Watch Keeping Officer, Ghana Navy Ships (Dec 1983 – Jun 1993).
Commodore James Osei Kontoh has undertaken peacekeeping operations in ECOMOG Liberia as part of ship crew from Aug 1990 to Jul 1991, United Nations Mission for Rwanda as a Military Observer from Sep 1995 to Mar 1996 and United Nations Mission for Ethiopia and Eritrea again as a Military Observer from Sep 2003 to Sep 2004. At his quiet time, Commodore Kontoh enjoys listening to gospel music and playing golf.